Dr. Heather Morrison, P.E.I.’s chief public health officer, says border screening will remain in place for the foreseeable future. (Shane Hennessey/CBC)
Prince Edward Island reported no new cases of COVID-19 Monday, but close contacts of the five cases announced on the weekend are being monitored closely, P.E.I.’s chief public health officer said.
Dr. Heather Morrison reiterated at a news briefing with Premier Dennis King that all five cases are Islanders and not related to the Atlantic bubble or season residents.
On Saturday, Morrison and King announced three new cases, the first on the Island in more than two months. One case was related to travel and the patient, an essential worker in his 50s, had been self-isolating since returning home to the Island.
The other two cases were connected, and contact tracing revealed two more linked cases on Sunday.
All close contacts of the five active cases will be in self-isolation for 14 days and public health officials will follow up with them daily, Morrison said. All contact tracing was done in a 24-hour period.
Ten close contacts of the new cases reported Sunday have tested negative.
Morrison said screening at the P.E.I. borders will remain for the foreseeable future.
Cluster tied to Nova Scotia travel
The starting point of the outbreak was a man in his 20s who had travelled to Nova Scotia and appears to have contracted COVID-19 from someone there who had recently been in the U.S.
The person who had been to the U.S. had intended to travel on to P.E.I. but did not do so because he did not have the required pre-screening approval, Morrison said.
She said she was told the man was stopped at the Confederation Bridge and refused entry to Prince Edward Island.
Specimens to be tested for COVID-19 are seen at LifeLabs in Surrey, B.C. The three new cases of the disease caused by coronavirus announced in P.E.I. on the weekend are the first in two months. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)
One of the new cases is a female staff member at Whisperwood Villa, a long-term care home in Charlottetown. She started to feel ill while working a shift at the home last week.
All residents and staff have now been tested except one person who could not be tested because of a pre-existing condition. That person will be monitored carefully for symptoms.
The staff and residents will be tested again starting Wednesday, July 8, Morrison told Monday’s briefing.
People who visited Whisperwood Villa for any reason on June 30 are being asked to come forward for testing.
Before the cases confirmed on the weekend, P.EI. had 27 cases of COVID-19, with the most recent case being identified at the end of April.
As of Monday, those 27 cases were considered recovered or resolved and there have been no deaths related to COVID-19 recorded on the Island.